Global Odyssey was a student-led event where Business Management and Economics students came along to exhibit their learnings. It was held in the school itself and consisted of three departments, together functioning to serve and entertain students visiting the exhibition. The 3 departments were Food, Fashion, and Fun, each one having its own team and team leaders. Food consisted of different snacks and deserts for the audiences to munch through, whereas fun consisted of interesting games adapted from different countries. I was the fashion and cosmetics team leader for the event and my department sold fashion products such as body scrubs. My role was to manage some of the resources, place orders, sell the products and most importantly to delegate tasks amongst my team. This CAS experience was really exhilarating for me as the concept of incorporating globalization and ethics and running my own exhibition was completely new to me. Some part of the profit made was donated to the NGO ‘Friends with tails’ and hence, this event was a win-win for everyone.
LO1: Identify own strengths and develop areas of growth
- This event made me realize the drawbacks of procrastination, but fortunately, I understood the significance of time and completed all my tasks just on time. Though there were some cancellations last minute and had I been more organized in terms of scheduling the work and taking updates every day, those last-minute screw-ups could have been avoided.
LO2: Demonstrate that challenges have been undertaken developing new skills
- Marketing and selling such products was a new experience for me. Buying the products was a challenge for my team because we wanted it to be of good quality but at a cheaper rate. With the teamâ€™s cooperation, we managed to find almost all the products at cheap rates but for some of the products, the cost price was quite high and therefore we couldnâ€™t sell all of them. I also got to enhance my leadership skills through this event while delegating work to my team members.
LO3: Initiate and plan a CAS experience
- First, as a team, we wrote down all our ideas about various products. We finalized products that would ensure maximum profit and were easy to find/ make. We made deadlines for all tasks. To ensure that everybody is using their abilities to good use, we looked at the interests of all our team members and delegated work accordingly. We also took updates from our team members and gave them reminders to complete their tasks. We ordered most of the products online and I coordinated with the regional manager of the e-commerce platform to ensure the delivery on time. On the day of the event, we decorated our stall and arranged all our products in an organized way. We then gave every body certain responsibilities keeping in mind what they are good at. Through this, I understood the responsibilities of a leader and how crucial time management is.
LO5: Demonstrate skills and benefits of working collaboratively
- Working collaboratively bought a whole new set of ideas that would guarantee the success of the event. Dividing work among my peers proved advantageous as it sped up the execution of my plan. While, the delegation of work was easy, getting some of the group members to do their work on time required strenuous efforts.
LO7: Recognise and consider the ethics of choices and actions
- Ethics is an integral part of a business. According to our priorities, ethics comes first and foremost. We did not increase the prices of the products extensively even when they were in demand. Also, we tried our best to reduce the consumption of plastic by looking at various alternatives for the same.
This event helped me sharpen my skills and made me understand the importance of time. I demonstrated the learner profile open-minded as I was always open to new ideas for the event. All in all, it was a stimulating experience.